The objective of the project is to contribute to ensuring the sustainable use of water in the Volta basin and to ensuring the rehabilitation and preservation of the environment.
In accordance with the ABV’s mandates, the specific objectives of the project are:
• to support the emergence of the ABV by making the Observatory of water resources and associated environments a multisectoral operational tool of the Authority;
• enable the VBA to establish a diagnosis of water needs and the resources actually available as well as the environmental situation of the basin, and set up an information and communication tool;
• contribute to decision-making, with a view to:
• defining priorities and options for sustainable basin management,
• anticipating the negative impacts of water management
In this perspective, the project has three (3) components:
• Component 1 : carrying out an inventory of the environmental situation of the basin;
• Component 2 : setting up of an Observatory of water resources and associated environments, an information, communication and decision-support tool;
• Component 3 : involvement of the parties concerned in water management and environmental management.
|3rd Seasonal Climate Forecast Forum 2016 in Sudano-Sahelian Africa Final Communiqué, 3rd Seasonal Climate Forecast Forum 2016 in Sudano-Sahelian Africa|
| Assessment of the Current State of Water Management and Climate Change in the Volta Basin as part of the Establishment of an Observatory for water Resources and Related Ecosystems. Assessment of the Current State of Water Management and Climate Change in the Volta Basin as part of the Establishment of an Observatory for water Resources and Related Ecosystems. To downlod documents, go here: |
http://www.abv-volta.org:10000 / abv2 / documents / main-studies-of-labv
|Publication of results: Financial and accounting audit of the Volta Basin Strategic Action Program Implementation Project (VSIP)|
| Development of the Charter of the Volta Basin Authority: Experts in consultation in LoméDn the desire to harmonize points of view in the elaboration of the water charter of the Volta Basin Authority, a series of consultations is organized in the six countries that share the basin, in order to identify the recommendations from different countries. |
Togo is the 4th country to host these consultations.
They were opened on Monday July 24, 2017 in Lomé in the presence of several experts and other stakeholders in the field.For a week, the consultants on the development of the Water Charter of the Volta Basin Authority will discuss with the actors of Togo on the concerns and proposals of Togo in the elaboration of the said charter.The work of Lomé was chaired by Ms. Kayi Aguey-Wognon representing the Minister of Agriculture, Livestock and hydraulic.
in order to be operational, it needs to be clarified on the essentials of the directives it sets out ”.
To do this, she invited the participants to have frank discussions with the consultants in order to assert their concerns, which she deems essential and which should contribute to the development of the Charter which will clarify the VBA convention very dear to all countries sharing the volta.
Jacob TUMBULTO, coordinator of the implementation project of the Strategic Action Program of the Volta Basin, thanked the participants.
For him, “the Water Charter of the Volta Basin Authority is an important document, because it is this map which is the legal document, which will govern the ABV in accordance with the 2007 convention establishing of the authority.
It will provide details on the management of water shared by the member states of the ABV. ”For the Director of water resources and focal point of the ABV in Togo, AKAKPO Wohou, the elaboration of the Water Charter of the Volta Basin Authority complements the basic principles contained in the convention adopted by the heads of state of the six countries sharing the volta basin.
The charter will be drawn up taking into account the recommendations and concerns of the focal points and water stakeholders in the six countries.
The Charter will then be submitted for adoption by the ministers in charge of water in the area before ratification by the heads of state of the six countries in the volta area.